Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Mustard Whore

Hello internet,

Y'know what I hate? Well, cruelty. I'm very much like Alec Baldwin in that respect. Another thing though, that gets my goat is Audrey Hepburn adulation. The whole industry that's been built around her as a style icon, veritably craps in my mouth. Anyone would look good stick-thin and in black Givenchy.


Why do so many women adulate the blah outfits of a shoplifting hooker? I bet that dress smells of stale cigarettes and the 50s eqivalent of Charlie Red laced with an entrancing and yeast-ish hint of gonorrhoea.

Incidentally, I think these movie hookers look way cooler:


The best pic I could find of Julia Roberts and Laura San Giacomo in Pretty Woman. Even as a 10 year old, I thought the hooker outfits were way more awesome than her richy-rich outfits.




Jennifer Jason Leigh in Last Exit to Brookyln.
This is a movie that teaches us that prostitution isn't always a gateway to couture.

Anyway, I had a point and here it is: a mustard yellow coat is awesome. A mustard yellow coat worn by Zadie Smith, a woman known foremost for her giant brain and writin' smarts = Becky Fashion Inspiration #44. Long since I have toiled to find a high street equivalent and lo! in the Marks & Spencer sale armed with vouchers, I found one.

Obser-erve:


Zadie in her glorious London home, posing for Vogue.



The Wigmore jigging, hands clasped in glee in her Norwich-ian Homestead.

We are as one.

So my point, once more, is: admire hookers if you must but pick the cool ones. Alternatively you can enjoy the outerwear of Booker Prize nominees. And Holly Golightly is clapped out fo' sure.

Love,
B


No comments:

Post a Comment